“The year is coming to an end. What are you thankful for? And what have you learned?”
Those were the questions I asked myself. I placed 3 fingers from my right hand on my left wrist. I felt the constant beating of my pulse. It was then I knew I was thankful for my heart. After all it has been through, I’m still thank the fact that it’s giving this body of mine life and have mended the soul within me. I can conclude that 2016 was a year that taught me 2 things :
- The importance of self love and self growth
- To believe in yourself
I’ve lost people whom I once called ‘friends’ and my cork board that was once filled with polaroids of smiles ; I took some down and replaced them with new ones with different people with different smiles. Remembering everything that has happened in 2016, it was a year that had been filled with tears, heart break, hugs, laughter and love. I did do my fair share of traveling. I’m still in the midst of learning to love myself. I’m not going to lie but I still reminisce about what Victoria, Australia have taught me in summer 2015, for I did leave a part of me there. I came home thinking 2016 is going to be the year of my life. Half way through, I stumbled and fell. Sure, I had that night where I broke down and cried myself to sleep in my hotel room by the beach. I had that morning where I woke up and wish my heart was numb so I didn’t have to feel the pain for a while. I had that afternoon where I reminded myself constantly not to lose composure. And I had that evening where I did lose my composure. The hurricane moments, I called it.
But you know that idiom that goes ‘The calm after a storm’? Well I know what that feels like. After those amalgamations of hurricane moments, it is then you will find yourself calm and it is as if something inside of you just patched everything up. But to survive those hurricane moments? It takes patience, kindness, gentleness, love and strength. No everyone pulls through those moments coming out the same and some don’t even make it out alive from their hurricane moments. In 2016, I’ve had those moments where close friends and family held me in their arms and told me that I could do it ; that I have strength in me to pick myself back up again. Reading back my 2016 resolutions, I can now safely conclude that I’ve done all of them. This year, I’ve loved unconditionally and I will love unconditionally next year too. I’ve been brave enough to cut off negative people from my life. I learned that I’m not my own enemy and I have inspired people this year.
So for 2017, I will continue doing all these. I’ve written down my resolutions so here they are :
- The human heart has a way of making itself large again even after it’s been broken into a million pieces. – Robert James Waller, The Bridges of Madison County – Spend the next one year by loving unconditionally, especially yourself as well as treat others the same way you want to be treated.
- Invest time in yourself. On improving yourself. Have the courage to take risks. Go where there are no guarantees. Get out of your comfort zone, even if it means being uncomfortable.The road less traveled is sometimes fraught with barricades, bumps, and uncharted terrain. But it is on that road where your character is truly tested — and your personal growth realized. – Katie Couric- I want to become a better person physically and mentally.
- Reading is to the mind, what exercise is to the body. – Joseph Addision – It’s time to broaden my circle of knowledge more.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself – Spending the next 365 days to try not to be my own enemy.
- God often removes a person from your life for your protection. – 2016 taught me this and in 2017, I’ll constantly remind myself that I deserve better. Surround myself with people who possess the ability to calm me with their presence alone. Be around the people that encourages my self growth and support my passion & goals.
- “Art is to console those who are broken by life” – Vincent Van Gogh – 2017 is going to be a year where I focus on art (writing, literature etc.)
- Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit. – I will hustle and build my career. I’m going to work for the results that I want!
- Never quit inspiring people. – I did it in 2016 and I will continue doing it.
- Forgive more.
- “Be yourself, be comfortable with yourself – It’s authenticity that’s compelling.” – Rochelle ‘Shelly’ Lazarus, Chairman Emeritus, Ogilvy & Mather.
- Eat clean & exercise more – Okay this is going to be difficult but..it isn’t impossible.
- Remember, you got this.
12 resolutions to do. They’re not very specific nor are they much. But the next 12 months with its 52 weeks and 365 days are going to be a lot of work. It’s going to a selfish year where I’ll focus on myself. 2016 has been insane but every night before I fall asleep, I am thankful and grateful for all that I have. 2017, I’m ready for you. Let’s see what you’ve got installed for me.
My heart might be bruised, but it will recover and become capable of seeing beauty of life once more. It’s happened before, it will happen again, I’m sure
Paulo Coelho, The Zahir
All visuals and words belong to Win W.™ unless stated otherwise.